...bucking the reading slump trend

As anyone who reads regularly will know the dreaded reading slump demon will come a knocking at some point or another. Sometimes he hangs around of a couple weeks and then buggers off back to whence he came, but occasionally, for me at least he hangs around a little too long. He's been perched on my bookshelves, taunting me, for several months now. Every time I think about picking up a book, he jeers and wags his little gnarly finger at me and I suddenly loose interest. I feel guilt when I look at my vast collection of unread novels and ironically feel less inclined to read their pages. So there they sit, perfectly aligned, spines straight, waiting to spill their secrets.

The usual tactics to get me to pick a book:
- reading a chapter X
- reading in another a room X
- reading in the bath X
- having a cuppa X
- Collections of short stories - worked to a degree, but I've now finished all of my short story collections!

The OH and I took a trip to Costco - the original plan was to visit IKEA  but we took one look at the carpark and thought '...naaah', I mean I get that to jump from IKEA to Costco is quite big and all but if I'm honest I wanted to get out the house. Cabin fever strikes. So when we venture there I always insist on looking around the books table, its a staple and must always be done, even if I'm not really looking to add to my growing library (so many, many, unread books *sobs*). So there I am, mooching, OH huffing and grumbling behind me, finally giving up and getting his phone out to peruse the internet (I mean seriously, who does that?) when I stumble across these beauties.



I've been looking for a copy of....for some time. Many of the stories I know from being a child but I've never read the originals. I tend find my books in charity and indepedent bookshops if I can, although I will admit to using the likes of Amazon (link) when I can't wait for the next installment of a series. Coming across fairy tale collections can be quite difficult, those I've found so far have been modern publications or are not complete collections. I have a particular penchant for old print publications or beautifully bound editions, so I love the old time feel of these.
I'm hoping to read a couple stories of an evening to kick start my reading for 2017...I have quite the list to get through.

I'd set myself the task of reading at least two books a month - this was back in August last year. Now this TBR list seems a little abitious, I'm thinking I might change it up a little by opting for shorter novels or failing that remove the pressure altogether and go with what I feel I can manage at the time.

What do you guys do to get yourselves out of a reading slump? Do you try and tempt yourself out of it or you let yourself come around in your own time? I'd love to know :)

I shall update as to my progress!


 In a bit guys x








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dream Create Journal #6 - A lesson in Reflection

Dream Create Journal: Changing it up

Beginning a new Journey